Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Town

I love this painting.  It was painted about 150 years ago, but it is exactly how it looks to me now when I go for my nightly walk in summer.
   I feel at home with my town now.  Sometimes, like me, she is small and plain, sometimes clear, sunny, brilliant and  sometimes blustery, dirty and biting.
  I have a place here.  Memories of childish icy bare feet on wet asphalt.  First love in a yellow paddock of long swishy grass.  My best friend fastening my wedding dress in my mother's house.  Driving streets by rote to my father's raspy-breathed death.
   We interred my father's ashes today.  It was dark and low in my town today.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written. So sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts and can empathise entirely.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails