Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Cracking Success!

As you know I was given a challenge (no, not how many titles with 'cracker' puns in them), but to do some savoury baking.  My first three tries were less than perfect - Me "Have one, they're delicious", Spawn "No.  They are NOT delicious."
 But finally I have produced something which is both easy and tasty.  Me - "Do you like my crackers?", Spawn replied "Yes.  They are very nice."
I began with this recipe, but ended up with the recipe below.
Garlic Crackers
1/2 cup self-raising wholemeal flour
1/2 cup white plain flour
80ml water
40ml olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix together (add a little more flour if too sticky), roll out as thinly as possible, place on baking tray, bake 15 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 200C. 
 When it comes out of the oven, crack into pieces.  If it doesn't crack, it needs more time in the oven.
They are very more-ish.  With only 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the dough, and nothing else sprinkled on top, it has made me realize how heavily salted commercial snacks are.  For a family like mine with strong history of high blood pressure, this has been an important exercise.  I will definitely be experimenting with different flavours grains for the next batch!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'll definitely be giving those a try! I read that the salt in processed food is such that our tastebuds don't register the taste so it has to be loaded with more. Or something. We're big fans of celtic sea salt here and find that the taste is more well rounded so less is needed!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails