Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Current Quilt

So, at the moment I'm working on a scrap quilt for my mother. I'm using all of the scraps from the quilts I've made for my children. I am using a bluebird because when we were children my mum used to sing to us "there'll be bluebirds over, the white cliffs of Dover". I am also intending to use one of my recently deceased father's shirts in the quilt - when I am ready to cut it up!
   I spent last night painting my roller derby name onto the back of a romper I got for $1. All the donated clothes they can't sell at their op-shop, they sell for $1 each at this warehouse shop, and kids clothes are all 50c. Its like a factory outlet for an op-shop, you can't get cheaper than that!
  My last success story for this post is my couscous recipe. I love couscous because all you have to do is pour the kettle and wait 2 minutes. But the celebrity chef pre-spiced mix is really expensive, so I tried my own and it turned out even better! I serve it as-is to the kids, and for Panda (my husband) and I add salad vege, leftover roast vege, tinned vege, tuna, ham, chicken, pretty much whatever I have in the house. So now I will share it with you!  
Screamstress' Couscous Emergency Mix
Add the following to one kilogram of plain dried couscous, then to prepare add equal parts couscous and boiling water to a bowl.
  • 4 tsp ground cumin,
  • 4 tsp ground coriander,
  • 2 tsp paprika,
  • 3 tsp vegetable stock powder,
  • 2 tbs dried onion,
  • 1 tbs dried garlic,
  • 2 tbs dried parsley,
  • sunflower seeds.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Screamstress!

    I have to ask...where is the Op-Shop warehouse? I live near Melb and would love to go and take a peek. I'm addicted to Op-Shopping!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails