Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Squeeze Machine

I struggle with my youngest son.  Sometimes I feel like he is a little homeless man living in my house, and I wonder why I don't get that feeling of natural connectedness with him.  He is the littlest, lightest, skinniest, and lowest in the pecking order amongst the children.  When the other two are packing away or putting on their shoes, he is staring at the TV, climbing on the couch, or stomping a piece of cheese into the carpet.  My first reaction is often to yell "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" "JUST DO IT NOW"  or "WHY?"
  I do not like it.  I tell my family the most difficult child needs the most understanding, but I have fallen short too often.  But since learning of the weighted blanket therapy, and putting it together with ideas like Temple Grandin's squeeze machine, I have been modifying my behaviour.  Instead of yelling, I have been trying to squeeze him more.
  And that is what I wanted to share with everyone.  I don't know that his behaviour has changed, after all, he is still a normal three year old boy, but mine has.  Simply by squeezing him more, I feel closer to him. It may be in my head, but I feel heaps more positive about him, about myself, and about us as a team.
  So if anyone out there is struggling with a child, give it a go.  It can't hurt ;)

4 comments:

  1. Your a great Mum!!! What a wonderful thought you have there. I used to just rub my youngest ones back every time she sat on my lap. She wasn't hyper, just a ball of anxiety and that helped her. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed how i bod differently with all my kids. Rose was my challenge, our relationship has improved as she has grown. It's now Liam who is driving me to distraction. I might try giving him a cuddle and see what happens, mind you I don't feel like doing it right now he is being such a TOAD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I need to take a leaf out of your book and try make one of these, and hug more. Thanks for sharing so openly..

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails