Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Eyes of my Beloved

 As is sometimes the case, I was inspired by something I really didn't like at all.  I saw an art show, which made me frown, and not in a good way.  "If the artist can call that art, then there is nothing to say I cannot create something of interest and meaning, and call it art" I thought to myself.
  So following the current of my recent interest in the depths, I embarked on a piece.
I intended it to be ugly.
 It began as a piece about temptation.  I was going to call it "Take the Bait".
But, it seems, as usual, my hands know the inner workings of my mind before I do, and as I drew, cut, stitched, turned, stuffed and held it, I slowly fell in love. 
His working name is Andy.  He is so ugly, and his bait is unlikely to tempt anyone.  I felt for him.  Then I began thinking, maybe he wouldn't be so ugly to another angler fish...
So meet Angela.
Now it seems I have made a piece about beauty and the eyes of your beloved.  Because being loved for being beautiful is one thing, but I think I would prefer being known for being ugly and loved regardless.

3 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness, I am crying! What a beautiful post. Maybe the art show wasn't that bad! It certainly inspired you to make a great work. And to my mind that is what should be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! It reminds of my favorite children's story, the Velveteen Rabbit. Maybe we'll be hearing of a Screamstress exhibition soon.... You're very talented and with such great meaning behind the pieces, it's something I'd love to see!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails