Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

For the Love of Rice!

One of my favourite things is my multigrain rice.  But alas, the shop closed down, so I have been trying to figure out how to mix my own.
 It contains the black rice, some medium grain white rice, green split peas, yellow split peas, red lentils and barley.   The foremost one is the original multigrain rice.
I thought it looked nice in a jar, so I put a bit of braid around the top and gave it as a gift to a friend.
 I love my multigrain rice because it is an excellent meat substitute, I have used it in nachos, lasagne, and vegie burgers.
Vegie Burgers
  • Slow cook, either on the stove or in the microwave, 1/3 cup multigrain rice, let it cool.
  • Saute some garlic and onion. (If you can't be bothered you don't need to do this step.  Today I just added some dried garlic powder to the mix instead.)
  • Mix rice, seasonings (salt, pepper, cumin, parsley, whatever else you feel like) with one egg and 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs.  Today I also added frozen corn, because I had it, and I thought I could get away with it.
  • Form into patties, coat with extra breadcrumbs and sit in the fridge for a while, or until you need them.
  • Cook on a grill or bbq like a regular burger.
Every Tuesday over on her blog (froggoosebear.blogspot.com), Emma features her own and others "Easy Peasy Dinner Winners", which is a wonderful resource for easy, family and budget friendly recipes.  I have got many tasty ideas from her, so this week I can join in!

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas there! It looks fantastic in a jar and I know my vegan mother would love it! Thanks for linking up and I'm so glad that easy peasy dinners have been of help - people like you who link in with great recipes are certainly of great help to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link and the recipe...I'm going to give the vegie burgers a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rice looks so pretty. I'm not a vego, but meat's expensive so I'll give these a go.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails