Housewife, cheapskate, crafter, mum. Trying not to go crazy, trying not to go broke.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Ugly Old Men's T-Shirts

Recycling old fabric is a fantastic cheap way to get your hands on some funky and unusual fabrics.  I have always loved the thrifty mentality of mending or re-using something you already have.  Some of my favourite bloggers do the same, check out this cool printed tea-towel cushion, and this cute smurfy linen/fabric.

One of my favourite ways of re-cycling is to get an ugly old man's t-shirt (I'm describing the t-shirt, not the former owners, who are probably quite nice) with a cool print.  This idea came from a t-shirt I bought the panda for a costume party.  He never wore it, but I loved the 80's emu print and couldn't throw it away.  After a few months of looking at it, I re-shaped it into a ladies t-shirt, and I loved the result!

The pattern I use is one I made myself, it has a deep v front and back, and you just lay out the pattern piece and cut - the existing sleeve seam forms a cute cap sleeve effect.

I now keep my eyes out for cool (or just odd) prints on t-shirts, like this "Ballan Skate Park" t-shirt I got from my favourite $1 bin.

4 comments:

  1. hey that looks great! I've just been online searching for instructions on how to make undies out of old t'shirts. Stay tuned...that might not be a picture blog tho. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic!

    I found this YouTube tutorial on kiddies pants from tops - I have made fifty ten of them for my 13 mth old son. We've got some interesting ones so far and more to come!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAyx-_byh0

    I've also got some long sleeved tops and make him leggings out of them! I LOVE recycling clothes!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that men should definitely get rid of these shirts! Recycling shirts arethe best way to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love that you've had a rummage through - let me know your thoughts! Feel welcome to use the 'Anonymous' choice, but please leave your name, I have an overactive imagination!

Related Posts with Thumbnails